From idea to patent: A researcher’s guide to patent applications
What you will learn?
- The fundamentals of a patent application and protection
- How to judge if your idea is novel enough to be patented
- The different types of protection tools and how they are used
- What can be patented and reasons for failure while applying for patent
- Best practices to create, use, and maintain an invention workbook
- How to write patent applications - content, style, and format
- Evaluating your patent application before you proceed
- How to choose between patent attorney or agent
- How to use the Provisional Patent Application (PPA)
- Filing an international application under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)
The world of science and research is all about new discoveries, but an idea or research result is not deemed an invention until a patent is granted. However, navigating the patent application journey is not easy. If you have ever come up with an important discovery, and wanted to apply for a patent but didn’t know how, then this program is for you. This well-structured course takes you through the entire process, from evaluating an idea to writing a complete application and filing your request to a patent-granting authority.
This comprehensive course provides an overview of the different types of patents and protection available, and gives you the tools to evaluate whether your idea is worthy of a patent. It delves into the four factors governing your decision to get a patent, offers detailed advice, tips and a template on writing the ideal application, and outlines the role of claims in patent applications. The course also simplifies complex points like the Provisional Patent Application (PPA) and international applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) with the use of structured guidelines and bite-sized explanations. You will also learn about key considerations like ethics, maintaining an invention workbook, and how to choose an agent or patent attorney. By the end of this program, you will not only learn how to evaluate your research idea, you will have the essential skills to craft a successful patent application and deal with the intricacies of filing your application.
What topics will be covered?
Lecture 1: Introduction to patents
Lecture 2: Myths and facts about patents
Lecture 3: Evaluating your idea
Lecture 4: The invention workbook rules
Lecture 5: Application type: PPA or PCT
Lecture 6: Attorney or no attorney
Lecture 7: How to write the PPA
Lecture 8: Writing the international application
StartLessons to be learned
StartGet that patent before calling yourself an inventor
StartMyth busting overall
StartApplication, Patent, and Protection
StartI will make millions with my idea
StartThe lawyer boogeyman
StartThe world's there to help you
StartPrototypes and extent of development
StartWhether to proceed